Monday 7 November 2011

Meringues....

Mmmh, fat free....!
 
This week, whilst Peter is away, I'm going to try to crack on with some sewing.  It's been a while since I did any - I think I've been distracted by baking!  But now I need to lose a little more weight before Xmas so should probably refocus on sewing some Christmas gifties.

Before I move on though, I thought I would share our meringue attempt.  I've seen these giant meringues for sale in shops at ridiculous prices so Isobel and I decided to make some!  Mixed and matched with some recipes.  And the result was a lovely crispy meringue on the outside and gooey-ness in the centre!  And a sugar rush.  Here goes -

- preheat oven to 200 degrees C (gas mark 6) and warm 300g of caster sugar on a roasting tray for 7 minutes or until hot but not melted

- in an electric mixer, whisk 150g eggs whites until they are foamy and then add the hot sugar all in one go.  Put the mixed on high and whisk for about 10 minutes until the mixture is cool and white, shiny and stiff!


- then it's up to you what you do.  Isobel and I made two batches - so we split the mix in two and with one of them very loosely folded through a tiny drop or 2 of red food colouring.  In the other, we loosely folded through some sifted cocoa and cinnamon.  We probably only used about 3 'folds'.

- put large 'blobs' on a baking tray covered with baking paper and decorate. 

Which one was Isobel's?
-  bake in oven at 110 degree C for 1 hour and 45 mins.  Cool.

Eat! They were very yummy!

Finished article - they spread out quite a bit on cooking!



Oh, and our meat free time is going well - we might have had a few slip ups but basically it's all good and it's been a great opportunity to learn how to cook new veggie dishes and to get our 5 a day in one meal!  Now, the next step is to not eat cake.....or drink Amaretto with ice (!)

No comments:

Post a Comment