Monday 14 November 2011

Finally some sewing & spiced apple chutney

Spiced apple chutney - cost about £0.50 a jar

I've had a lovely few runs since Peter got home.  I'm really trying to get to the top of a hill near our house without stopping.  I'm getting there though I'm almost sick when I get to the top!  Running really does lift my mood.  I noticed today that there is a running club in Sevenoaks specifically for women with depression - good idea I think, especially if people can start off running with others.  The club is called 'up and running' - http://www.upandrunninginsevenoaks.org.uk/Upandrunninginsevenoaks/Welcome.html

Much to Peter's concern, I've changed the morning radio station from Radio 4 to some music - whichever channel has the most uplifting music!  I love Radio 4 it must be said, the Today Programme, Just a Minute, The Politics Show, I've Never Seen Star Wars....oh and Woman's Hour.  However, I realised that happy music is making for a happier person - a bit of disco dancing to Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer just works it's magic and makes both little ones laugh and join in (I know someone who would be so happy with this - bringing back memories of that classy joint Infernos on Clapham High Street!). So, apart from first thing in the morning (gentle wake up), it's no more Radio 4!  Having said that, I did listen to Woman's Hour the other day where there was quite an interesting interview with a host of ladies about how to stay married.  Apparently Louise Mench has made some remark about women not letting themselves go or making sure they look glam for their husband.  And Jilly Cooper has reissued her book from 1969.  Programme is on Iplayer or through this link (10th November) - http://tunein.com/radio/Womans-Hour-p657/

Anyway, I have finally done a bit more sewing.  Isobel's hair is beginning to go a bit nuts so I made her a hairband!  It took slightly longer than I thought it would but I think the finished item is ok really - especially considering it's (a) pink and (b) made from fabric my mum had when I was little!

Great link to some hairband tutorials here - http://www.sewchicandunique.com/tag/headbandhairband/

I love those curly blond locks!
 Finally, I thought I would share another apple activity - as you know, we seem to have had a lot of apples (mainly through Peter foraging!) and I've slowly been turning them into things to make them last longer.  Last week I made a spiced apple cake (when testing out the cake release) and over the weekend we had a joint effort at some spiced apple chutney! 

We used this lovely book to instruct us (it's a great book - soooo many recipes and easy for people without a lot of jam making skill!) Jams, Preserves and Chutneys by Marguerite Patten.  Basically you need about 2lb apples (when peeled and cored), 1lb onions, some mixed spice (1 tsp), vinegar, raisins/sultanas and 350g soft brown sugar [will post details later - children just woken up!].  To sterilise the jars I always use the same method - wash the jars then put in a cool-ish oven at 140 deg until you need them.




No comments:

Post a Comment