Tuesday 8 November 2011

Learning something new - mesothelioma

I have had some communication with a courageous woman, Heather Von St James who has survived mesothelioma with which she was diagnosed just after giving birth to her little girl.  I hadn't heard of it before - but it seems that it is a cancer which affects the lungs and abdomen and which is strongly linked to exposure to asbestos.

Heather has written some of her story on the following site which also has further info about the disease:


http://www.mesothelioma.com/blog/authors/heather/

It made me think of my good friend whose husband died just after Isobel was born.  He had lung cancer - the cause was not known.  It could have been smoking when he was young but many wondered if it was linked to working in craft, design and technology at a school and the exposure to pollutants in the dust.  It took less than a year after he was diagnosed for him to lose his battle.  He was a lovely and strong man.  My friend is an inspiration - I really don't know how she does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment