Monday 28 May 2012

Extreme swinging and just the right number of linear!

I've just realised that the title may be a bit misleading for some.....I am obviously referring to swinging on a swing. Had friend over for a bbq and one little girl (older than Isobel) was doing some great gymnastics on the swing - one leg, one arm, trying to climb up the side etc etc.

'It won't be long until Isobel is doing that' said her mum.

5 minutes later, there she was, trying to copy her - so a bit faster than we were imagining and filling me with terror as she dangled off about to fall but somehow saving herself! I'm trying to remain calm - inside thinking, OMG, she could fall and quite hurt herself. But she is a brave little thing and I don't want to instill fear - she wouldn't have broken anything, just added another few grazes to her battered legs! What would social services say?

Anyway, a tart update. Well, the pastry didn't shrink and the egg wash (I didn't know about this - thank u Jamie!) stopped it getting a soggy botty. Now then I'm writing this on my phone so its hard to organise the photos to do a 'here is one Jamie made' and 'here is mine' but needless to say, Jamie's was all perfect on the top and mine was, well, a little bit brown. But, suffice to say with a bit of icing sugar sprinkled on it looked good and tasted good - just the right amount lime apparently as I was told! Not sure its the healthiest option with 8 eggs and 300 ml cream but who cares, its pudding!

The pavlova went down a treat too - great for kids and you can hide a relatively small piece under loads if fruit!

I also kept the asparagus theme going with another naked chef recipe - asparagus, broad bean and French bean salad with a mustard dressing. Now the recipe called for French beans and I must say we improvised and added fresh peas but it was still lovely. And interestingly, I used to hate broad beans but I followed the recipe and off I was eating broad beans! Quite nice they were too! Arty also enjoyed it so a hit with the kids which is always good.

And, as we were in a Jamie mode, we also made the potato salad with a salsa Verde which was good - full of capers and anchovies and yummy yummy!

So, another Jamie verdict - good sweet crust pastry recipe and tips, great salads and another asparagus option for that lovely veggie!

Tired now. Have a few days off from the kids as am off to sunny Norfolk for training! I wonder if it will be rude to just go to be at 630 when the course finishes each day? Imagine, 12 hours sleep. What is that? In fact, what is 6 hours sleep?






No comments:

Post a Comment