Saturday 3 November 2012

Ups and downs

So, I had a real down day yesterday.  Some children seem to always be soooo placid, so calm, so 'do what mummy asks'.  I don't have children like that.  Spirited someone said was the word to describe Isobel.  Someone else suggested she was 'super bright'. Whatever it is, it has it's moments.  And yesterday those moments were really quite hard. 

We're at the pub for lunch with a bunch of friends.  I say we, I mean me. Plus two small ones. And Mary. The Doll. Oh my. Don't forget the doll!

There is a soft play attached to the pub.  Isobel has been to a Halloween party where they provided her with (a) juice; (b) cake; and (c) Haribos (which I hate and unfortunately she can now open unaided!).  So sugar was flowing through her veins.  We play in the soft play.  All is well.  She has lunch (well, kind of).  All is well.  She wants to fill my glass up with 'juice' from the soft drink thing and wanders off.  Comes back with a glass full of ice and a quite disgusting looking drink which I'm told is a 'combo. Mmmh.

In the meantime, Arty has had enough.  It's way past his bed time, he is having a meltdown.  So I say 'Isobel, we need to go now I'm afraid'.  Isobel: 'Can I take my juice' (meaning my combo drink).  Me: 'No, the glass belongs the pub, it's not ours'. Isobel: scream, fit, smack me in the face, kick, more kicking, more screaming, more smacking.  Oh my god.

Anyway, that was yesterday.  I gave them a very long bath.  They had turned into little prunes by the time I got them out.  But it was a calming moment for everyone.  Either that or I would have drunk gin at 4pm which is maybe a tad early?

Or maybe not?  Children.  Physically and emotionally exhausting.  But, when they are on tip top form, how lovely they can be.  Like today, in the swimming pool, Isobel declares 'I love you mummy'.  And that almost makes me cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment