Sunday 8 July 2012

The Naked Chef-ess Returns!

Oh my, how much did this remind me of school????
 
Whilst Peter was out running for a worthy cause, I distracted myself from the never ending rain by cooking us all a sunday roast! Not necessarily the best thing to do on your own with two small children who can't go outside because it's so wet and who therefore tried to create world war three in the kitchen....my patience was not that good!

But we persevered and out came the lovely Jamie Oliver book again - I really should count how many recipes I've got to get through!  Today we tried roast chicken and steamed jam sponge (see above).  The jam sponge was such a doddle to make - no suet, just butter, but it came out absolutely lovely and light - the photo above doesn't really give you the scale of the pudding but needless to say it was about the size of a pyrex pudding basin (?3 litres?) and we ate quite a bit (together with some custard from the lovely Birds!).  So that gets lots and lots of points.

Then there was the chicken - now we've done this before many times and it always turns out well.  He basically suggests stuffing herbs and oil between the chicken meat and the skin on the breast.  Really lovely.  The kids loved it too!

Looks a bit dry but was actually really nice and just about right!

Home grown potatoes - oh yes!
Right, now time for coffee and to watch some tennis I do believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment