Tuesday 16 October 2012

Be Ro - milk fadge anyone?

So, after a few glasses of wine with a friend the other evening, we had a good chuckle about a recipe in my 1950s cookbook which I found at my mum and dad's house a while ago.  It was for a 'milk fadge'.  Never heard of it - but the proof is on the right handside.




So, Saturday came and Isobel and I decided that it was time to make the 'fadge'.  How hard could it be? Not hard at all it turned out.  In fact, the easiest thing I've ever made with Isobel.  And we even did a comparison bake - the Milk Bread.  I had to phone my mum to check that they had turned out roughly as expected - my granny used to make them apparently and serve them warm with butter and jam. So we did as suggested - and ate them warm, and I have to say, they were lovely!  We will be making our Christmas cake this year from the Be-Ro book - why not?  The current age of austerity and high food prices seems to tally quite well with the idea of 1950s Britain, food shortages and so on.


Fadge is on the left, milk bread is on the right!






1 comment:

  1. Ive been wanting to make this fadge/bread recently as enjoyed it as a child. Mum used to bake it in the 1960's/70's but we'd lost her Be-ro recipe book so wasnt sure of the ingredients. We're so pleased to find this - thank you. I shall bake some today and enjoy wirh butter and golden syrup!

    ReplyDelete